RC nitro engine glow plug driver

 I used to use a DC DC step down converter to heat up a glow plug, at 1.2-1.4V. I add a switch to control it.


It was working, since then, I can use what ever battery I have on hand.

It takes 2.26A at 1.2V

I did a test, a plug will need about 2A. So, I switch to this kind of DCDC to save volume on car.

It does light up the plug on testing, but once on car, it would only start the engine for first few times.

After several try, I believe that when glowing a plug on engine, when the fuel goes in to cylinder, it would also take out heat, then I need more current to keep the plug glow. if I power it at 1.4V, it will be 2.8A, when you blow on the glow, it goes up to 4A

googling around, I cross to find out that a RC glow plug is about 5W, and there are some on board glower is only using a mosfet to switch power source,




An example of arduino for 9 glow:
I wish to power glow drive and the starter motor with same 2s life battery, so the source voltage could drop out.
It comes to my mind, since Power=I2R, maybe we can control the current.
And LED driver does exactly the trick. and we can also dim it with PWM.

well, it won't work, the resistor of plug is constant(well almost) at 0.5Ohm, so, to make it glow, you will need 2-4A

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

Heltec ESP32+OLED+Lora, hardware testing

micro SD card for ESP32, on lolin32 with OLED and heltec 32 lora oled

Install Network Time Protocol(NTP) on BeagleBone with Angstrom linux and set local time zone